Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Kings Corner: Brother's In Arms


I love my Kings. I love them for many reasons. One of the main reasons was demonstrated tonight during the game against the Dallas Stars. The reason being? Our Kings stand up for each other. If one of them goes down, you can guarantee someone's going to pay.

Anze Kopitar took a HUGE hit today that knocked him to the ground instantly. He laid on the ice motionless for what felt like decades. Instantly I was reminded of last year when Kopi was injured late in the season and missed the playoffs. Not something I wanted to see again. What happened afterwards (immediately afterwards) was what I thought, a demonstration of true loyalty to your team and your brothers on the ice.

After Dallas' Brenden Morrow hit Kopi in the upper chest/shoulder area, Mike Richards attacked in retaliation. However, by doing this Mike Richards was sent to the box and ultimately taken out of the game...AND during the 4:00 powerplay Dallas scored to tie it up. The thing is, the rest of the team didn't see what Richards did as a bad thing. They didn't blame him for the loss (Dallas wins in shootout 5 to 4). During interviews with the players and Coach Sutter they agreed that what Richards did was right. It's expected of a player with heart and respect for his teammates.

I know that Mike Richards and the rest of the Kings are not the only team that sticks up for each other in this way. It's just good to see my team being so passionate. Rather than saying that one of the main reasons why I love the Kings is because of their will to stand up for each other, I SHOULD be saying that one of the main reasons why I love HOCKEY is because of the players will to stand up for eachother. Even with all the physical confrontations between teams, more so than any other sport, hockey is a game of great passion, respect and heart. BUT, the Kings are my team and therefore they show passion, respect and heart better than anyone else. Go Kings!

*Source*

No comments:

Post a Comment