Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Movie Awards 2011

Welcome to Sam's movie awards for 2011! A couple things before you get started...
1. I did not go into detail on most of this stuff. Just pointing out what I liked and didn't like and keeping it simple. So if you're looking for well-written descriptions of why I chose these movies then I'm sorry, you won't find that here.
2. I'm starting the list with my least favorite film of the year. I've got to get it off my chest.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy this not so well made list with fancy pictures! Yay!


Most Disappointing Movie


-The Thing
There were only two things I didn't like about this movie. 1, The animation was HORRIBLE. 2, they showed the Thing WAY too much. Sadly, those two things are enough to make me wish this film was never made. Was not necessary.


Best Animated Movie


-Rango
I have to admit, this was the only animated movie I saw last year. Nevertheless, it was quite good. The Animation was superb!

Favorite Comedy


-Horrible Bosses
This movie was funny! I laughed a lot. Yup.


Favorite Superhero Movie


-Thor
This movie was just a lot of fun for me. That is all.


Favorite Character


-The Driver, Drive (played by Ryan Gosling)
Yea, that's a hammer in his hand. Yes, he's a badass. And yes, he can drive really good.


Least Favorite Character


-Banshee, X-Men United
Ugh, so stupid. Really?! Just....nevermind.


Favorite Villain


- Dave Harken, Horrible Bosses (played by Kevin Spacey)
What a dick! That's all I have to say about that.


Least Favorite Villain


-Lord Voldemort
I realize that this guy is supposed to be the most evil and heartless wizard ever to walk the planet, but seriously! Why does he make some of the goofiest faces I've ever seen by a villain?! And some of his lines too, just...wow.



My Top 10 Favorite Movies of the 2011



10. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
I thought this was even better than the first one. There was more depth to this one. Not to mention Sherlock faced off against his greatest enemy and rival, Professor James Moriarty (played excellently by Jared Harris). The final bout between Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty was pretty awesome. Also, there was one scene that my sister and I were laughing at for about 5 minutes so that was very memorable.

9. Fright Night
I didn't think I would enjoy this one as much as I did but I was very entertained. This is one of two movies that I saw in 2011 where I really loved Colin Farrell. There were quite a few moments where I thought everyone was good, nothing bad was going to happen, they were safe and then BAM! Nope.

8. Footloose
Shut up. I loved this movie. The dancing was actually very entertaining, and the story had heart. An emotional movie. It was a lot of fun, and humous at times too. AND Julianne Hough is hot! So leave it alone, I loved it and you can't change my mind.

7. Transfomers: Dark of the Moon
Shut up. I loved this movie too! I've always been a fan of the Transformers movies. I enjoy the action and the special effects. I love the scores composed for the movies, and you know what, I like Shia LaBeouf.

6. Hugo
Wow, this movie was good. This movie was well acted by everyone who was in it. Just a real talented group of performers. The story tugs at your heart strings too. I'll admit, I teared up....maybe more than once. Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass) never disappoints either.

5. Super 8
This sci-fi movie reminded me of classic Spielberg. J.J. Abrams directed and wrote this movie so hey, I was good with that. C'mon, he was responsible for the new Star Trek remake which was AWESOME. The kids in this movie were great. Each with their own unique personalities and they each added something memorable. Another very touching movie.

4. Hanna
Great thriller. Everything in this film was done very well in my opinion. The music, the villains, the fighting scenes. It all worked well. Man, Cate Blanchett plays an excellent villain. She pissed me off so much! And Eric Bana impressed me, as he always does. The scene with him in the train station was the best part of this movie for me. But of course, Saoirse Ronan steals the show.

3. The Adjustment Bureau
A story about controlling ones own destiny. This is a great and thrilling love story about two people who want to be together but an unseen force will do whatever it takes to keep them apart because it's not part of the "plan." I found this movie to be very suspenseful, despite having no shooting or explosions. Most of all, I thought it was a unique twist on how we might perceive what higher power may be out there.

2. Drive
Even I was surprised to find out this wasn't my favorite movie of the year. Wow, what an INTENSE movie. The funny thing is, this movie stressed me out, had me biting my nails, and made me so freaking nervous...and hardly a word was said! It's not the writing in this movie (don't get me wrong, the writings great) but the actions and emotions portrayed in this film that makes it so powerful. I believe this is Ryan Goslings breakout year in the industry, and this is the movie I will instantly think of when I think of his abilities as an actor. Seriously, I can't really say anything else...you just owe it to yourself to check it out.

1. Warrior
Okay, so I barely just watched this movie two days ago and my God was it amazing. I didn't think I would like it this much, honestly. I mean, I'm not really into MMA (mixed martial arts) but upon watching this movie I realized that it is so much more than that. Don't get me wrong, the MMA fights that are on display in this film are pretty awesome. I actually did a sort of fist pump and yelled out "hell yea!" during one of the fight scenes and it was 2:30am! Yea, that's how compelling this movie was to me. I popped it in at 2:00am thinking "oh, I'll just watch the first 20 minutes and fall asleep." Nope. Watched the whole damn thing. Didn't yawn once. Cried a few times though. Yes, this movie is DEEP. More than the MMA, this movie is about the tragedies and hardships families face, and what it can take to gain back the love the family may or may not have ever shared. Everyone did an excellent job in this film. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy were the stars but damn, Nick Nolte was powerful! Definitely a standout performance. Did I mention the soundtrack? As soon as I finished watching this movie for the second time in the same day I jumped on itunes and bought the soundtrack. Everything about this movie really hit me hard and made me realize what a film can do to peoples emotions. Bravo.


Well there you have it er'body. I hope you enjoyed this. Again, I apologize for the lack of detail in my writing but either way I hope you got something out of it. These were my favorites, feel free to submit some of yours. Until next time!

1 comment: