Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top 10: Most Anticipated Games of 2012

Hello all! Okay, so this is the list. As you are probably aware, 2011 was a HUGE year for gaming. Hell, I'm still playing through quite a few games from last year with no clear end in sight. So 2012 has a lot to live up to. This list only includes the games that I've heard about so far. I apologize if I don't go into much depth on any of the following games, but the truth is...there isn't a ton of info on a lot of these games at the moment. Before we get to the top 10, lets take a look at some honorable mentions that didn't make it to the finals.

Honorable Mentions

1. The Last of Us
There is a very slim chance that this game will even come out in 2012. That's the only reason it didn't make the cut. If it was a for sure thing that it would release this year, then hell, it would honestly be my number 1. Why you may ask? Because the guys who were behind the Uncharted series are behind this game too. Yea, you know it's going to be good.

2. Tomb Raider
I never was big on this series. In fact, I think I've only ever played the demos for a few of them. However, this a brand new take. A darker and more realistic take in fact (sorry guys, Lara Croft has normal boobs this time). I also believe this is the origin story of how she became who she is. Very cool.

3. Max Payne 3
Okay, so I've played the first Max Payne and thought it had a lot of cool new ideas, but...didn't get into it quite as much as other people. This one looks very promising though. For that, I'll give it a mention.

Without any further delay...

My Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2012

10. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Dude, this game looks sick. The last attempt at a Transformers game by this developer actually turned out pretty cool. This time around they've added a few new fan favorites from the tv show and by the sound of the title, probably a prequel. Looks like a fun time.

9. The Last Guardian
From the makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Do I really need to say more? The third chapter in the series looks to be just as breathtaking as the ones before it.

8. Halo 4
Wait! Wasn't the fight over after number 3? Who knows whats going on. All I know is that theres a new developer taking over, this can be good or bad. Maybe we need a fresh take. All I know is, Halo will never truly die.

7. Aliens: Colonial Marines
Yes. This looks like an Aliens game worth playing. From what I've heard so far, the developers are really motivated to capture the feel of the Aliens movies and from what I've seen, it looks very promising. Should provide plenty of scares too.

6. Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning
A fresh RPG. Very much inspired by the Elder Scrolls series. In fact, one of the writers for Oblivion and Marrowind wrote this game. In fact, I read that he created 10,000 years worth of history for this game! I played a demo for this game today and I've got to say, it's a lot of fun. And it differentiates itself just enough from games like Skyrim. The combat system is awesome.

5. Hitman: Absolution
Have you ever played a Hitman game? Well if not, you should. Taking on contracts, disguising yourself to get that perfect kill. These games are definitely gratifying. Patience is key. And this time, Agent 47 is dealing with his most complicated assignment yet.

4. Mass Effect 3
Come on guys, it's Mass Effect. For me, Mass Effect 2 was a HUGE step forward from the first game in the series. If this one is just as good as the second one, I'll be happy.

3. Borderlands 2
I LOVED Borderlands. I know some people thought it got repetitive but I had a hell of a good time. With literally millions of weapons options how can you not have fun? The developers have heard the complaints about the first one and have done a lot to improve the formula. A better story and unique characters should make this game great.

2. Far Cry 3
Please, don't break my heart. Far Cry 2 was a game that I was so freaking excited for when it was first released. Then I played it. Not a bad game, but not at all what it could have been. Now here I am getting my hopes up again and ranking this game as my number 2 most anticipated game of the year. Watch the trailer for this game and you'll see why I cant help myself.

1. Bioshock Infinite
Was there really any doubt? Bioshock is in my top 3 games of all time. So of course I'm excited for this fresh take on the series. This new world looks just as beautiful and mysterious as Rapture did. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I'm diggin' the list! Particularly the Last Guardian! Is that just for PS3?

    ReplyDelete